Friday, June 8, 2012

To be or not to be… a Vista Summer Associate

My choice to become an AmeriCorps Vista Summer associate was not really a choice at all; it was an expectation.  It seemed to be the next course of action after I had taken a class that focused on social injustices in impoverished neighborhoods.   My professor for the class was also an AmeriCorps Vista member told me about this opportunity to work at Booker T. Washington Community Center.  I was informed about the issues that plagued the community and how vital it was for the community center to remain open and successful.  Therefore, it was only natural that I find a way to be apart of service to the community.   Since the best way was to be of service was to be a summer associate and work at the center, I applied for the position.  
I have done service for AmeriCorps before, but this is the first time that I am working with the Vista program. This is quite exciting because it will definitely give me a feel of the community that I work in and how the residents in this area live on a daily basis. It will also give me a chance to connect with residents on a totally different level and really get a sense of how they feel.  I am sure that this experience will be enlightening and full of lessons that will definitely open my mind to new perspectives.

1 comment:

  1. Please keep us posted of your findings, what you are learning about the community and how you are enlightened!

    ReplyDelete