Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Hello from Mount Union!

Ahoy! Names Matt Miller and I'm an incoming senior here at Mount Union. I'm a Geology major and a Political Science minor. I'm a member of Mount's cross country and track teams, and I'm also the President of fraternities Sigma Nu chapter. I would the outdoors-camping, hiking, biking, RUNNING, I love it all. It is essentially why I decided to major in Geology at first. It's a career that requires you to be outside a lot working with the Earth. 


I got recommending for the VISTA position by one of my fraternities alumni. I interviewed and got it, not really knowing all what it entailed at first. Once I started to look more into it all, I can't even began to tell you how excited I was and still am. Mount Union is in a small town called Alliance, a town that really thrives off the university. The poverty levels are unfortunately staggering here. 90% of kids in grades K-12 qualify for reduced lunches here, which is a total family income under 42,000. 30% qualify for free lunch and are at poverty level. Which is I believe less than 28,000? Anyway you get the idea.


I would the opportunity of being able to help this town out. I've started managing a project in conjunction with our already in place Alliance Farmer's Market, a community garden awareness day. Last Saturday in July, it will be a community wide event that bring everyone together (especially the children) to learn about where the community gardens are in Alliance, what you can use them for, recipes for foods grown in them etc.

I've rambled enough! Good luck to everyone!

-Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment