Wednesday, June 13, 2012

My First Week as an OCC VISTA Summer Associate...

Hello, my name is Lia Crosby and I will be a senior at Denison University in the fall. I just returned from a semester abroad in Honduras, Nicaragua and Costa Rica, where I was in an environmental program that helped rural farmers become more sustainable. We also taught groups of locals the benefits of owning cooperative businesses, such as restaurants and operations making solar cookers, homemade foods and cosmetics. I am an Environmental Studies major and a Sociology minor, so like my trip abroad, this position with AmeriCorps combines the two things I love working with the most: the environment and communities.

I am looking forward to teaching community members the positive impacts a garden can provide, and in the short two weeks we've been woking, I have already begun to see the changes we are facilitating as VISTA interns. Kyra, Glenn and I have spent time volunteering at the Salvation Army making lunches for kids, getting our hands dirty at the Croton Community Center Garden pulling out weeds, and collecting donations from our local farmer's market to bring to the food pantry. We've met many generous people who devote their time to improving the surrounding neighborhoods, and I can't wait to work with them to expand these programs that are clearly doing so much good for this area of Ohio.

No comments:

Post a Comment