" All but 23 of the U.S.’s 436 congressional districts (counting D.C.) have a food hardship rate of 10 percent or higher. " I found this interesting but I was not shocked by these numbers. Before I started working for the Westerville Kids Lunch Club (through the W.A.R.M) I assumed that poverty and hunger was not a problem whatsoever in our community. I thought Westerville was an "upity" town with a higher middle class community. But now through seeing and talking with the residents I see how it really is and how programs to help those below the poverty line are important to have everywhere. Even some of the best suburbs, small towns and cities in America have problems with food hardships according to this data. It is important to not just look at the upper middle class as I described before and actually recognize those who are in need of help.
"But the hunger problems of many real SNAP participants are multifaceted. Eating healthily on a low income might be feasible for those with vehicles, stoves, refrigerators, and accessible supermarkets—but such conveniences aren’t necessarily standard below the poverty line." I never really had thought about the luxuries of stoves and fridges because mine had just always been there. It's true though; having the ability to keep things fresh and store leftovers is very necessary to not being wastefully and in the end saving money. Some people who qualify for SNAP I'm sure do a fine job of budgeting their food and making the most of it. I always found it annoying when people would come into UDF where I worked last summer and buy junk food with their SNAP or EBT allowment. I understand now, that it was a cheap fix but I wish there was a way to educate and help them understand the better decisions they could make. The 2012 Farm Bill would be a great way to lower the costs of more nutritious meals for those everywhere in America. But then comes back to how do they get the food and can they store it. There are organizations that help feed and keep food on the table; maybe there should be a program to trully help educate the people and give them stoves, ovens, or refrigerators so they can be as efficent and possible with their allowences.
No comments:
Post a Comment