Thursday, July 12, 2012

"Call of the Scenic River"


I want to introduce you to the film, “Call of the Scenic River”, produced by Tom Mayor, who graduated from Wright State.  A major part of this documentary focuses on the impacts that agriculture has on the waterways, and follows the many designated scenic rivers that we have in Ohio, where the Scenic River Program first started. 

From as far back as I can remember, I was always playing in the creeks and streams in my neighborhood.  From catching crawdads, fish, snakes, and minnows, to ice-skating, toy boat racing, tubing, and rope swinging, the water provided infinite recreation for my friends and me.   Now, when I go back to those streams, I’m lucky to even see a crawdad (crayfish) let alone catch one.  So much biodiversity in the creeks are lost due to agricultural run-off and new housing and commercial development.

I feel empowered when watching the film.  I am inspired when I see the people and organizations that are working to protect our waterways and watersheds.  Most people, however, are so busy with their personal lives and working to pay bills, that they are disconnected more and more from the natural world, its life and its rhythms — like the flow of the river.  In addition to the abundance of free organic fertilizer (carp) for community gardens that can be obtained from the Great Miami and Mad Rivers, there is also great potential from fishing to provide food for the Fairborn community if the rivers can revert back to their natural state.  “Call of the Scenic River” really speaks to me with the video and its information about Ohio’s creeks and rivers, because they are a reflection of how we treat the natural world, the land, the waterways, the air and living organisms.

~ Adam



No comments:

Post a Comment